Breast Cancer and Me
It was the middle of April 2016, just about 10 days before my first chemotherapy appointment. Two friends sent me a link to The Truth About Cancer
at almost the same time. After watching the first episode and I had an instant rush of self-confidence, “I can do this. I will do this
”. I wanted to heal my cancer naturally this time, without relying on conventional treatments such as chemotherapy and surgery. So I put the chemotherapy appointment on hold and have never gone back.
Have I ever been healthy in my life?
It was not only the beginning of healing my cancer but also my journey to rebuild my good health.
Back at the end of 2011, I definitely felt some health issues like chronic fatigue. I started seeing some Naturopathies and did some blood tests. It showed some basic concerns and many of them recommended to stop or reduce alcohol and eat healthier, and some supplements that I could take. But I did not make changes. I was not feeling well, but I did not take all those messages from my body serious enough and did not want to stand up to make changes.
Then, in 2012, I was diagnosed with DCIS - my first breast cancer. I simply followed the advice of my MD, and I had a lumpectomy. This event did not change me and my life. I just kept my life as is even I had a surgery to remove Stage 0 cancer. I'd continued partying, working day and night, drinking lots of champagne and wine, and eating what I liked. I thought I was eating healthy though it would not be the healthiest.
I got pregnant through IVF treatment and had my daughter in 2013.
My breast cancer doctor said, “You can have your baby first. Then once you give birth, let's start hormone therapy.” We felt that my time was limited. So, we decided to do IVF treatment before I would start hormone therapy. I was happy when I found I was pregnant because my husband and I had tried many years to conceive.
Although I was very happy with our new life with a new family member, I could feel that my energy level was really low after breastfeeding for almost two years. I felt that something was not right with me... I did not feel that I could connect with my daughter emotionally. I felt that I was not having “mother's joy” that was often described by my girlfriends.
At the end of 2015, I was desperately feeling sick. Every morning, it was so hard to get up from my bed. My immune system was hitting the bottom and I temporarily lost the vision of my left eye by Cornea Herpes. I also felt so miserable and lost in my life. There were lots of struggles and tough challenges even though people would not see that I had them.
I was diagnosed with my 2nd-time Breast Cancer in March 2016. This time, Cancer has changed my life forever.
People might think that I am in a bad place by having Cancer.
Some people feel sorry for what I am dealing with. But I am deeply grateful that cancer came back and it gave me a chance to awaken myself as “Who I am”. If cancer did not come, I couldn't change my life and I could have died by regretting at the end of my life that I did nothing in my life as “me”.
I was living unconsciously until this event happened in my life. Cancer has given me the opportunity to find who I really am and give my body to experience true health.
“Writing my stories and sharing resources from my experience are my mission”
After deciding to go on my own path to rebuild my good health, to heal my cancer, as many people would, I opened up Google and begun searching keywords like “Breast cancer”, “Alternative cancer treatment”, etc... all day long.
I found websites and blogs where people wrote about their experiences with their cancer, fighting it and healing. I bookmarked them all. I’ve spent an enormous amount of time on the internet searching and reading. When I found a similar diagnosis, situations, and desires of natural healing, I very much sympathized with them, and I learned a lot from those stories and experiences. They were truly helpful, especially when I found detailed information and stories that I could compare with my own case. I appreciate all those who put their personal stories online, and I feel the deepest gratitude for what I learned from them.
This experience led me to the decision to write about my health history in as much detail as possible. The history of my health issues will include not only Breast cancer but also all of the other health challenges I've had, because I strongly believe that all my health issues are connected to my Breast cancer development. So, I feel that is important to share all these issues as well.
The treatment options and choices are unique for each individual. So, I want everyone to know that I am not trying to suggest my way to anyone. I just feel that this information may help someone to kick off their own healing journey, or could give others the feeling of relief that comes from finding someone who has a similar story.
How did I create my breast cancer?
After spending years since I decided to go on alternative treatments, I have spent enough time to get a realistic overview of my health. I am actually not surprised that my body developed Cancer. Now I have good guesses for 1) Why I developed Breast cancer, 2) Why it grew quite large within 3 years and 9 months - between the first DCIS in March 2012 to the second diagnosis in March 2016, 3) Why my cancer grew and metastasized in last two years (2017~2019)
Some people may say that I have failed because my cancer has not been gone and it has even grown larger than the beginning. But I am not worried at this point and now I know that it would be just a matter of time to rebuild my good health again.
One of the reasons I have such strong confidence is that I have started learning the mechanism of the human body from Late Dr. Toru Abo, Yoko Alexsander, and Dr. HIroyuki Sakitani. If my path did not come across with their teaching and books, I am perhaps still in a maze and would have destroyed my health completely. For example, now I am so clear and I can explain why my tumor got bigger after doing the Ketogenic diet and other protocols I had between 2016~2018.
I will write more in details and my thoughts on my blog. So if you are interested in these, please follow my blog!
Below is the list of main events and impacts, which I believe caused my breast cancer.
- My immune system was really on the bottom, because of :
- Over 3 decades of Steroid usage for my skin issues and others
- Celiac disease not being diagnosed for almost 40 years, which caused severe leaky guts condition
- Breastfeeding for 1 year and 10 months took lots of energy from my body, and I was not putting my health as a first priority during this time.
- High-stress lifestyle over the decades
- IVF process before and after DCIS lumpectomy
- Low self-esteem and spiritual unhealthy
- Unhealthy diet
- Wrong diet
- Not enough exercise
- The first lumpectomy may have stimulated cancer cells and triggered growth
- Lack of right information/knowledge to build/maintain good health
My Health history
Below is my brief health history. I will add the details and stories to each past stage when I find more time.
For now, I want to move forward and spend more time on writing about what I do now. So, please come back to check here or please subscribe for email updates.
- 1971 June 19th : Born in Tokyo Japan.
- 2010 October : Diagnosed with Celiac disease and started Gluten free diet.
- 2012 March : Diagnosed with DCIS.
- 2012 April : First MRI, and it revealed the size of irregular hypoechoic mass was measured 1.9cm x 1.9cm x 1cm.
- 2012 April : Consultations with the reproductive department to find out the options to have kid(s).
- 2012 April~May : We decided to do IVF process and freeze embryos, so that we would have options to have a baby after my surgery or when I am ready.
- 2012 June 5th : lumpectomy of DCIS - I removed about a golf ball size.
- 2012 June 11th : Meeting with my surgeon, when I was told that there was no invasive cancer.
- 2012 July 25th : Another meeting with my surgeon. According to the conversation with her, all margins were clean (*1) and I do not have to do another surgery. If my Oncotype DCIS Score test comes back low risk, she would not need to recommend radiation either.
- 2012 August 17th : The Oncotype DCIS Score test results came back as less than 5% of chance that I would have a recurrence. So my doctor said that we should try to have a child first.
- 2013 January : Started IVF process.
- 2013 April 23rd : We received the call from the nurse from the reproductive department and my pregnancy test came back as positive.
- 2013 December 24th : After 55 hours of labor, I gave birth to my daughter.
- 2014 December : I would say it was around December around my daughter’s birthday… I have noticed that my left breast had some hard texture. An almost feeling of having a small disk around the upper side of my left breast. But I did not take any actions (such as seeing doctors), since I was 50/50 it might be cancer or tenderness through breastfeeding.
- 2015 September~October : My Cornea Herpes became active and I started losing vision of my left eye. I stopped breastfeeding because I had to take medications.
- 2016 March 7th : I was back to check on my left breast. The doctor who performed the Ultrasound assumed that there was a high chance of cancer.
- 2016 March 9th : Through fine needle biopsy, they found cancer cells. The nurse suggested doing a biopsy including the lymph nodes, so that we could confirm if it is invasive or not. They found cancer cells in the lymph nodes - the confirmation it was invasive cancer ...
- 2016 March 11th : MRI and PET/CT.
- 2016 March 16th : They did not find metastasis. My left breast tumor was roughly 7 x 9 x 9 cm (AP, TR, CC) and three lymph nodes were affected.
- 2016 March : My doctor’s initial suggestions were: chemotherapy to reduce the tumor size, then surgery. Depending on the outcome, she assumed that I might need radiation and then continue on hormone therapy.
- 2016 March~April : I did 2 more biopsies to apply for a clinical trial.
- 2016 April : I watched the documentary “The Truth About Cancer” and put the conventional treatment options on hold and started researching and applying alternative treatments.
- 2016 April~June : Meanwhile, my oncologist also suggested to go on hormone therapy instead of chemotherapy to try to shrink the size of the tumor, but I still decided to put this suggestion on hold.
- 2016 July : First RGCC test results was 5.8
- 2016 July 25th : Starting high dose vitamin C and other protocols for 6 weeks.
- 2016 September : Started a strict Ketogenic diet by limiting carbs 12grams per day. I also added Budwig mix that is found in Budwid Diet
- 2016 October : MRI. It showed no change from the last MRI in March 2016.
- 2016 December 12th : Second RGCC test results was 3.9
- 2016 December : Started seeing the reflexologist 7 days a week for 4 months
- 2017 April 10th : Third RGCC test result was 3.5
- 2017 July 10th : Third RGCC test result was 3.1
- 2017 December : A tumor has started growing the surface of the skin between my left breast and armpit.
- 2018 June : MRI. There were two suspicious areas in lang and liver
- 2018 June : Starting hormone therapy
- 2018 August : Starting ECM acupuncture treatment and following its dietary recommendation. Stoping Ketogenic diet completely
- 2018 August : Starting Letrozole and Zoladex
- 2019 January : Start high glucose/fructose diet. With the new supplement protocol
- 2019 March : Stop hormone therapy
(*1) I remember the conversation with her, she said “You are all good!” and she did not mention that there was a positive margin. But apparently, a margin was not clear, which I found that while I was going back to the old record of 2012 discuss my treatment plan in 2016…. I assume that my surgeon made the decision to say “Okay” by 1) knowing that we had a strong desire to have a kid. 2) from her experience, it could have been okay with a small leftover?!